What 2009 brought me... in no particular order...
- This blog! My major goal was/is to inspire a glamorous/pampering/adventurous/slightly eccentric/creative life without it being about money or status. And share the occasional star-sighting... AND to share my genius wit and artistic prowess... ;) Merci to all you wonderful readers and bloggers who inspire me in return!
- The Sounds of Silence, a UC Northridge film in which I had a fun role written for me by the director(after I auditioned for another role!), and the friendships made on the set.
- A first edition/hardcover of Tom Robbins' Jitterbug Perfume, one of my favorite books by my favorite author, won on Ebay for $3!
- Four marvelous meals (3 this summer, 1 on 12/21) at Ludobites... my faves were the chorizo/cantaloupe/cornichorn ice soup (had every time this summer), lobster medallions (omg that gelee), the tomato salad with feta mousse and both versions of fried chicken, though the version on 12/21 with the cantal polenta and mole took me to a transcendent place. If Maestro Ludo (or anyone who knows him) sees this, please consider a Ludo Comforts U truck, selling your soups and fried chicken with polenta to a happy happy public!!!
- Crossroads Trader treasures (all under $50!)... most notably, a navy Gucci dress that fits me like a glove, black Donald Pliner cork wedges, Chip and Pepper wide-leg jeans (softest denim omg), Sonia Rykiel gold platform sandals, some pretty Marc Jacobs tops and a super-soft turquoise cashmere sweater.
- I perfected my pig candy recipe and recently made candied bacon balls that were rich/sweet porcine heaven.
- Butterflies and gemstones at the Natural History Museum this summer.
- My first film camera, a plastic Diana F+ Nightcap, and expired film now give me another outlet for my storytelling.
- My two groovy Goodwill.com finds... the champagne mink jacket of my dreams (seen in pic above, as I was leaving Ludobites on 12/21) and a heavy gold Egyptian necklace that reminded me of one of my favorite bloggers, The Glamourai.
- Umami Burger's SoCal Burger
- The Golden State Cafe - the friendly neighborhood cafe I wish there were more of. It's so nice to walk into a place and be recognized and talked to. Merci Jason!
- Animal Restaurant - great inventive food and no attitude
- My new favorite go-to restaurant - The Veggie Grill on Sunset at Crescent Heights. Vegan fast-ish food that will satisfy non-vegans... healthy, delicious and good for the environment. My fave is the chicken ceasar salad and I sub fried chicken for the blackened. Best faux-chicken I've had. They have a burger I will try sometime soon, but I keep ordering that salad!
- O-burger in Weho... organic, grass-fed burgers
- Kogi Kogi Kogi!!!
- My favorite Mexican peasant top ($5!) from Out of the Closet.
- Lulu Organics hair powder - for that perfect messy bedhead and not having to wet-wash my hair too often.
- Exchanged the office with the bedroom and now get to wake up to trees and a few crazy squirrels.
- Finished the re-write of my pilot script, The Day Shift. All I need now is a producer with vision!!!
- Gold this, gold that and the gold other thing...
- My first foray into backyard gardening that led to my foot meets pottery shard adventure. Without any doctors. stiches or drugs, I prevented infection and promoted healing with lavender oil, apple cider vinegar, tumeric, manuka honey and hand-made bandages (and boosted my immune system internally). Five months later and no regrets, the area is still tender, and I figure it will be a full year before it's 100%. Natural healing isn't speedy, but I prefer to work with my body, not against it. Life is a marathon, not a sprint.
- I checked a life goal off the list in November by learning how to properly handle and shoot a handgun. As an actress, I want to look like I know what I'm doing (cause I want to be cast as a badass, of course!) and it's another skill that's worth learning well. Merci to friend Richard, who's an expert in this field (felt like I was watching the Terminator when he was shooting), for being patient with me and for loading the clips when my fingers started to hurt (yeah I'm such a girl sometimes).
- Fantastic and inexpensive reflexology massages at JB Natural Foot Massage on Robertson. I'm going again next week with friend Julia!
- My energy-healer Maggie who has made me healthier, both mentally and physically. I met her as a result of my foot injury (indirectly), so you never know what positive will emerge from a perceived negative event. I try to be grateful for everything, because life can be crazy wonderful...
May the adventures begin...